Frequently Asked Questions
Why do you love to travel?
I love taking photos of beautiful landscapes and this world has no shortage of them. One of my favorite reasons to travel though is to make memories. Sometimes the nine to five can feel so routine and I forget to appreciate each day. Traveling helps me to make meaningful memories that will stay with me for a lifetime. There is no limit to how many places I want to see and experience. I also love that traveling opens my world to and teaches me about different cultures and lifestyles around the world. I love to learn and traveling ensures that I keep an open mind.
What camera and lens do you use?
My first DSLR camera was a Nikon D3200 with a basic 35mm kit lens. Based on a friend's recommendation, I instantly added a 50mm prime lens, which is the best investment I ever made. Since then I have rented many lenses from a local shop to supplement the purpose of my trip: GoPro Hero4 Silver, Nikon AF-S 18-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR DX, Nikon AF-S 28-300mm f/3.6-5.6G ED, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8. I just recently added a Sony A7R II with a 35mm prime lens, which I am loving! I also added the new GoPro Hero5 Black, which has amazing video quality without the inconvenience of the waterproof case. I'm not used to being on video, but it has been a really fun way to document our travels.
What is your background?
I have an Industrial Engineering degree from the number one school in the nation and a certification in project management. Previously, I have worked in manufacturing, software development and implementation, and now as a healthcare internal consultant leveraging data to provide process improvement metrics and tools for my customers. I love all things logistics, optimization, data mining and analysis, programming, web development, and database management.
How did you get into photography?
Growing up, my sisters and I loved making home videos and I always had a disposable camera with me. One of my favorite activities was going to get my film developed and laughing at how all of my memories turned out in photographs. I've had a DSLR camera since 2013 and have been slowly learning the craft over time. The most important thing to me is to capture these amazing experiences and have a place to share these images. In the past, I loved making and browsing through old photo albums, but today I have thousands upon thousands of images just stuck on my external hard drive. I share some on social media, but I am excited that now I can share all of these images on Never Settle Travel.
How did you come up with the name Never Settle Travel?
I was making lists everyday of possible names, and then searching to see if the domains were available on GoDaddy. Finally, I needed to decide between two options, but neither felt right. I explained to someone that I hated settling on a domain name that I didn't love, but I really needed to get started on my site, and then it hit me. Growing up, my motto was always "Never Settle." In the days of AIM, it was one of the first quotes on my profile or away message or however that worked back then. Sure enough, I looked it up on GoDaddy and I was so thrilled the domain name was available. It definitely fits my idea that no matter what stage of life you are in, you should keep traveling and experiencing new things.
Where have you traveled?
- I hope to see all seven continents... even Antartica! So far, I have been to North America, Europe, Asia, and Africa. I would avoid saying I am expert on any one destination, but I am happy to share what I have seen and done so far, though!
- See the full list of places that I have been:
- Asia: China (Beijing), Cambodia (Siem Reap), Hong Kong, Indonesia-Bali (Seminyak, Ubud, Amed, East Bali), Singapore, Thailand (Chiang Mai, Krabi, Phi Phi Islands)
- Africa: Kenya (Nairobi, Machakos, Ngaamba, Amboseli)
- Europe: Belgium (Ghent), France (Paris, Nice, Provence region), Greece (Milos, Santorini), Italy (Lake Como, Cinque Terre, Florence, Rome, Naples, Positano, Capri, Tuscany, Pisa), Switzerland (Jungfrau, Lucerne, Wengen), UK (London),
- North America: Alabama (Birmingham), Alaska (Anchorage, Girdwood, Seward, Portage), Arizona (Phoenix, Sedona, Antelope Canyon, Horseshoe Bend, Grand Canyon), California (San Francisico, Napa, Big Sur, San Diego, Yosemite NP, Los Angeles), Colorado (Denver, Keystone, Breckenridge, Copper), Connecticut, Delaware, Dominican Republic (Punta Cana, Higuey, and somewhere in the jungle...), Florida (PCB, Destin, Daytona, Clearwater, Cocoa Beach, Orlando, Tampa, Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Treasure Island, Marco Island, Jacksonville....almost everywhere really), Georgia (Atlanta, Dahlonega, Blue Ridge, Savannah... again, almost everywhere), Haiti (Labadee), Hawaii (Big Island, Kauai, Maui, Oahu), Jamaica (Montego Bay), Louisiana (New Orleans), Maryland, Massachussets (Boston, Cape Code), Mexico (Rosarito Beach, Tulum), Mississippi, New Hampshire, New York (NYC), North Carolina (OBX, Charlotte), Oklahoma (OKC), Oregon (Newport, Portland, Bend, Mt. Hood, Eugene), Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina (Myrtle Beach, Charleston, Sullivan's Island), Saint Lucia (Ladera, Gros Piton, Sugar Beach, Anse Chastenet, Soufriere), Tennessee (Nashville, Chattanooga, Pigeon Forge, Smoky Mountain National Park), Texas (Houston, Austin, Dallas, Ft. Worth, Midland, Odessa, South Padre Island, San Antonio), Utah (SLC, Park City), Virginia (Richmond), Washington (Seattle, Mt. Ranier), Washington D.C., West Virginia (Northfolk), Wyoming (Casper)